Translate

Monday, March 25, 2013

Week Six

 The worst thing is never the last thing.

Monday, March 25th

Reading: 2 Corinthians 4:7-10

Reflection: Paul speaks of being in every kind of suffering, and yet still carrying on. How is it possible that we can be afflicted but not crushed, perplexed but not driven to despair when it feels like these things have the last word? Think about all that Christ went through—people conspiring against him, being rejected and chased out of town, being arrested, mocked, crucified, and dying the death of a prisoner. We don't often face these things in our lives, but we certainly face endings. What can come after the terminal diagnosis? What can come after the death of a child, parent, or spouse? Are we not part of Christ's journey because of our baptism? Perhaps the key to understanding what comes after devastation for us is remembering what came after Christ's suffering and death...

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: God, your power is greater than my understanding, and your imagination is unlimited. Open my eyes to see that even death is not final for you. Give me faith to understanding what comes next for me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Tuesday, March 26th

Reading: 2 Corinthians 4:7-10

Reflection: What are the properties of a clay jar? It is usually something carefully crafted by a potter, beautiful, but also functional. It is used to carry water or keep grain. If it is no longer water-fast, it can be used to store cloth, skeins of yarn, or it can simply be used to brighten up a room with its artistry. You are a clay jar. Reflect on your properties. What has defined you up until now? Maybe career, family, or something you're not proud of. What is your purpose today? What might your purpose be tomorrow, next week, or in a year? What has God crafted you to do and be, and what kinds of things are you holding inside you? We all bear the death of Christ inside us, but do you recognize the ways in which you are also bearing his resurrection?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: God who crafted the mountains, the sky, and me, you have told me that your purpose for me is life, but I often only feel tragedy, loss, and grief. The bad things so often overwhelm the joy you give me. Teach me that I am a vessel designed to carry life rather than death, and abundant joy rather than pain. In Jesus' name. Amen.


Wednesday, March 27th

Reading: 1 Peter 2:9-12

Reflection: When you think of your membership in a club, family, or workplace what does it entail? Usually it's not just a plaque or something to put on your resume; it doesn't simply mean you belong somewhere—it means that you are part of an organization which stands for something and does something. Out of all the planets and solar systems and stars and universes that exist, you have been elected as part of a chosen people. What does it mean to be a part of God's people? What do we know about the character of God? We know that God is creative, powerful, loving, and beyond our ability to fully comprehend. What does membership in God's family call and empower you to do and be which is contrary to what the powers of death would have us do and be?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Heavenly Lord, I know that I'm not called to death, but to life, and to sow life in the midst of all the decay that this world has to offer. The best defense against the darkness is light. Guide me to know how to light up the world with you, so that even the darkest nights reflect your brightness. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Thursday, March 28th

Reading: 1 Peter 2:9-12

Reflection: Have you ever been given a surprising gift totally out of the blue? Maybe your child drew you a picture, or your spouse got you a little token of their love. Even if you were having an absolutely rotten day, a simple expression of someone's love for you can be enough to make it feel much better. God's love is like a totally unexpected, wonderful gift that brightens your day, but unlike these small gifts from our loved ones, God's gift is one which continuously speaks love in the midst of disengagement or alienation, and speaks joy in the midst of sorrow and sadness. It is a transformative gift, that actively changes what was to what will be. What does it mean to have this gift which continually gives? What changes have you seen, and what kinds of transformations can you expect as you constantly receive God's free gift of grace?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: God, you give me grace upon grace upon grace so that even when I'm in big trouble you are constantly overflowing with a word of truth that tells me that the bad things won't last, and I am and will be new. Show me what to do with my new life so I can live in gratitude to this gift!

Friday, March 29th

Reading: Revelation 22:1-5

Reflection: Time isn't confined to a linear realm with God the way it is for us. The beautiful imagery described in the book of Revelation demonstrates for us one possible vision of what future exists because of Christ, but this grand vision of a new heaven and a new earth begins with our lives today. Where has God's shining river of life cleansed you of pain or sinfulness? What kind of fruit do you now bear that in your younger days you couldn't bear? What kind of love have you given that you didn't know you were capable of giving? What kind of daylight has replaced a dark night? God is the river flowing through your past and cleansing and forgiving all your failures. God is the nourishment which causes your barrenness to become fruit of the spirit—peace, patience, kindness, love, joy, and gentleness. God is the lamp which shines through you when you serve others, and which shines through others to illuminate your darkness. God offers a promise for a new future, but for God whose time has no meaning, the future is present, and you are alive each day because of it.

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Dear God, you are my light and my all. You are the gentle river which washed me in baptism. You are a word of promise spoken in the face of uncertainty. And most importantly, you are present with me now. Reveal the ways that you are working in me, and give me a spirit of gratitude to live as a new creation in the joy that is possible because you loved me in all times, past, present, and future. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Saturday, March 30th

Reading: Revelation 22:1-5

Reflection: Faith and trust can never entirely banish fear. There will always be worries about life and fear of pain and loss and death, but what we can trust is that the worst thing is never the last thing with Jesus. Who we are as a resurrection people is a people who believes that love is stronger than death, God is for us, and ultimately, God gets what God wants—and that is for you to be a new creature, leaving behind your old self and the old world of death and decay for the new world of joy and life. The best solution to driving out fear is living out love! How will you live in love today? On what will you dwell? Perfect love drives out fear—who is the source of such perfect love? In whom will you place your trust?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Risen Lord, I love you so much and I know you love me so much more. Help me to put my trust in your promises, to dwell on what you have done for me so that the whispers of fear will be drowned out by the chorus of faith which you give me. Show me how to contribute to that chorus, so that through loving others, I may reveal your kingdom to them the same way that you have been revealed to me. Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be always on you and what you have done for me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment