Translate

Monday, March 11, 2013

Week 4

In our weakness, we are made strong.

Monday, March 11th

Reading: Hebrews 11:1-2; 8-12

Reflection: A common misconception about faith is that it is must exist entirely without fear or doubt. Fear is human; it comes from uncertainty and a desire to protect our interests. Imagine how Abraham must have felt, receiving a call from God to travel into a foreign land with his wife. What must have been going through his head? Here he was, practically dead, and God wanted him to go off and start a whole new people. It's ridiculous, and he must have been terrified. What if something happened to his wife and the other people he was responsible for? What if he left it all only to find out that there was no promised land, there would be no descendants, and that he was about to die alone in a strange place? Abraham must have experienced plenty of anxiety, and yet he left his homeland and trusted God, and it was “reckoned to him as righteousness.” What do you think this says about faith? Is it about certainty, or could it be about trust in spite of uncertainty?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: God, I'm so scared sometimes. I'm scared about my health, I'm scared about my family, I'm scared about my work, and so many other things. Please help me to trust you through my fear. Take my hand and guide me to the next step even though I can't see the ground, and don't know where I will end up. Thank you for being with me, and being patient with my frail human trust. Guide me, redeemer. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Tuesday, March 12th

Reading: Hebrews 11:1-2; 8-12

Reflection: Part of fear is the inability to imagine a better future. When Abraham looked into the future with his aging wife, do you think he could imagine a courtyard full of giggling children? Or do you think he imagined dying alone, his estate going to some distant relative? Learning to move beyond fear has less to do with being able to see the future based on your current circumstances and more to do with being able to imagine a different future. What seems impossible in your life right now? Do you have rebellious children or a frustrating job? Are you facing illness, or living out the rest of your years without your spouse? A future that follows from your situation now might seem hopeless, but God is the creator of possibility. What possibilities can you imagine that are based not in your present suffering, but in God's promise of restoration?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Dear Lord, my imagination is so weak. It's hard for me to see that something better can come out of this situation. Help me to see not to what I am capable of achieving, but what you are capable of delivering. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wednesday, March 13th

Reading: 2 Corinthians 12:6-10

Reflection: Paul indicates that sometimes our suffering is a part of our growth. Regardless of how you believe suffering comes about, we are told that “all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.” (Rom. 8:28) In other words, God doesn't necessarily cause suffering, but uses even the bad stuff to help us become who we were meant to be. It can be really hard to see how a bad situation can turn into something beneficial, especially in the midst of suffering. But try to think back to something you went through a few months or even years ago. Do you think that God used that to strengthen you or teach you something? Do you regret who you are now, or are you glad you grew through the hard stuff? How might God be using your present struggles to shape you?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Heavenly Lord, I have no idea what you're doing with my life right now, but I know you're doing something. You always walk with me and use even the worst things that the forces of evil throw at me to recreate and repurpose my life. Thank you for always walking with me, and help me feel your presence when I have no idea what will come out of my suffering. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Thursday, March 14th

Reading: 2 Corinthians 12:6-10

Reflection: We have a particular way of looking at the world: weaknesses or failings are bad, and successes and strengths are good. We think that Jesus on the cross is a defeat, we think that death is the end, and we think that failing means the game is over. Paul says that the gospel is “foolishness” to those who are perishing, because the gospel is so contrary to everything we think is true about the world. He says here that being weak actually makes him strong, but how can that be? Have you ever been defeated by something? By depression, or a bad job or family situation? Was that the end, or did you, in your moment of defeat, experience grace from those who supported, helped, and cared for you? Sometimes it's in our weakest moments that we realize that our strength is not our own, but comes from those who lift us up when we can no longer carry ourselves. How is God lifting you today?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Dear Lord, your wisdom is so different from mine that it's hard to understand. My weaknesses knock me down, and I feel like I can't get up again. Help me to see that my weaknesses provide an opportunity for your strength to carry me. Help me accept the strength of others in my weakness, and be the strength for others during their weakness. In Jesus's name. Amen.

Friday, March 15th

Reading: Matthew 26:36-46

Reflection: Jesus demonstrates trust and obedience in the face of fear. Jesus knew that the culmination of his ministry would be incredible suffering, and even knowing that death would not have the final word was not a comfort during this time. He asked not once but three times for this cup to be taken from him. He accepted his role, but it wasn't easy even for him! How much harder is it for those of us who don't know the end of the story? But it is possible to acknowledge your fears while accepting what you have been called to do. What are you facing right now? Whether it be a serious illness, a challenging period of career growth, parenthood, or even death, remember that your anxiety is real and normal—and that you have a choice of what to do with it.

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Dear Jesus, you know what it's like to be afraid. Because of your suffering, you know what it's like to face sickness, pain, loneliness, loss, and death. Give me courage like you had when I'm struggling so that I can keep moving toward the future you have called me into. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Saturday, March 16th

Reading: Matthew 26:36-46

Reflection: Where do you think Jesus' courage came from? Jesus was divine, but also human and experienced the whole range of human emotions just like you. Do you think that Jesus went to the cross without any doubt or fear, or do you think that Jesus went to the cross in spite of fear, because you were worth it? You were born into death and all the evil of this world just like every other human that has ever lived, and the hard, bad, scary stuff is inevitable. But you were also born into Christ's death through your baptism, and as Christ went to the cross in order to be raised, you can walk toward all your deaths, both big and small, knowing that you, too, will be raised.

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: God, give me courage! Help me when I'm terrified of what's to come, when I know that I will suffer and be in pain and need you. I know I can't control the bad things that happen to me, but please help me to see that the frailty of my human suffering allows me to experience the fullness of your resurrection. Be with me in that, and give me hope for what's to come. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment