Translate

Monday, March 18, 2013

Week 5



Rejoicing through the fear.

Monday, March 18th

Reading: Philippians 4:4-8

Reflection: Do you remember when you were a child and you got scared or worried, and somebody bigger and smarter and stronger than you told you it would be okay, and you believed them? When we're children, it's so easy to trust these words of reassurance that are handed to us by those we love. As we grow older, we learn that even our parents don't know the outcome of things, and sometimes bad things happen despite the most hopeful reassurances. This breaking of trust is a tragedy. We forget that God's promise to walk with us through the hard things and make all things new is bigger than the words of our parents, teachers, spouses, or friends. The word of God has power that human words don't, and in the same way we ran to mom, dad, or grandma when we were children, we are instructed to run to God when anxiety is encroaching on us, choking our trust and hope.

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: God, you are like my mother, who hugged me when I was afraid or hurt. Although I can't feel your arms around me, please help me run to you the same way. Teach me that I'm safe with you, and give me faith to know that your Word is eternal, and trustworthy. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Tuesday, March 19th

Reading: Philippians 4:4-8

Reflection: When was the last time you worried about something? Negative thoughts seem to be a force of nature sometimes. One bad thought occurs, and from there it's like a flame as possibilities meet an imagination energized by fear. Soon, possibilities like the death of a loved one or the loss of a job become inevitabilities in our minds, and the tiny spark of fear that fueled the fire has become a raging wildfire. Praising God is like water for these flames. Because we believe in the God who created everything, and who defied death for our sake, we know God's peace, promise, and restoration are inevitabilities. The question is, then, which is more productive: worrying about endless possibilities, or focusing our minds and hearts on the inevitability of resurrection and the end of all sin and death?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Maker and restorer of heaven and earth, let me think about all the things you have created! You made the beautiful sky at dusk, deep oceans, flowers, trees, and prairie. You created robins, finches, and nightingales. You made graceful giraffes and powerful lions. You made me, and everybody that I love. Thank you for these gifts! Direct my mind to all that you have done, so that when fear of what might happen grips me, the knowledge of the certainty of your love and power overwhelms all those fears. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Wednesday, March 20th

Reading: Acts 16: 25-33

Reflection: Jailed for preaching the gospel, Paul and Silas were having an inarguably bad month. In fact, it wouldn't have been too surprising to either of them to wind up with their heads on a platter. Where do you find the strength to praise God when facing something difficult? The challenge to rejoice through trials is a lot easier said than done. When your heart is crushed with grief, pain, fear, or depression, it can seem impossible to gather the strength to rejoice. But perhaps, you don't need to find the strength to rejoice and carry on, but rather need to rejoice in order to find the strength to carry on.

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: God, when I have only fear, move my lips to praise you. Lord, when I have only pain, move my heart to prayer. Father, when I'm too weak to carry on, carry me with hope enough to sing one hymn of praise to you. And let the tired, half-hearted words on my lips bloom into faith that with you, anything is possible. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Thursday, March 21st

Reading: Acts 16: 25-33

Reflection: Has your life ever fallen apart around you? Your spouse betrays you, you face a difficult illness, lose a job, or maybe all those things happen at once. Sometimes it seems like defeat is the last thing, and nothing could happen to redeem loss. But could it be that in the midst of the greatest tragedy lies the greatest potential for new life? The prison guard watching Paul and Silas in jail thought that his life was over, but it was exactly at that moment when, in desperation, he realized his need and was able to receive the gospel. What might be waiting on the other side of failure, loss, or desperation?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Lord, give me imagination to see what might rise from the ashes of my life. Let your grace fill me when I'm most empty, and hold me when I fear that the worst thing is the last thing. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Friday, March 22nd

Reading: Psalm 92:1-5

Reflection: It's hard to imagine a worse situation than being taken into captivity. Imagine what it would be like to be stolen away from your home and family and all those you love. Imagine being sold off as a slave to a family or household, and forced to labor. Imagine losing everything, and not knowing if you might even lose your life. During times like that, sometimes the only thing to cling to is your identity, but if your identity is tied up only in where you live and who you know, loss of those things can crush you. Even in captivity, the children of Israel, God's chosen people, sang of God's goodness and faithfulness. Because they understood God's character, they understood that they were still loved despite their failure. When we praise God, we assert that who we are is a people worthy of grace; a people of life rather than a people of death. Who do you say God is? And can you use that understanding to fight against uncertainty about your future?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: God, I sing because you made me and because you are always working to save me. I know that you are faithful to your promises, and that you have promised to make all things new. Help me sing your praises even when I'm scared and can't see the outcome. Help me sing even when it looks like all hope is gone. Help me sing as a way to remember that who I am is so important to you that you gave up your son for me. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Saturday, March 23rd
Reading: Psalm 92:1-5
Reflection: What are you thankful for? It may seem cliché, but what is the bright side of your situation? If your car broke down, maybe you got to speak to a stranger who helped you. If you lost a parent or a child, did you feel the love of a community grieving with you? What is there in the midst of darkness that fills you with light? We may not see the resurrection of the dead, but if we look carefully, sometimes we can see little resurrections all around us. What are the gifts you might not be seeing? If you're having trouble seeing them, is there somebody who can help you see them?

Take time to reflect, meditate, or pray in silence.

Prayer: Dear God, thank you for small blessings in the midst of big messes. I am so thankful for everything you've done: [lift up with gratitude all the blessings you can think of]. Show me where there is life in places that seem to be dead or dying, and teach my heart to rejoice in them. In Jesus' name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment